ART & Design (Fine Art)
The Fine Art course offers students many opportunities to get involved in their own area of interest. About 70% of our students progress to do Art & Design related courses post- 18, including Apprenticeships, Art Foundation as well as direct entry on to degree courses such as Fine Art, Textiles ,Graphics, Illustration, Architecture, Product and Interior Design.
After completing the second year our students are well prepared for the next stage of their lives, with skills that are transferable to all aspects of adult life.
As a department we want your Art experience to excite and challenge you creatively as well as develop social, interpersonal and communicative skills. The emphasis of the course is on independent study to enrich your own personal practise.
- Fine Artist
- Set/Theatre/film Design
- Graphics/Textile/Fashion Designer
- Computer Graphics/Animation. The list is endless.
More than just a course
The course is demanding. The course is rigorous through maintaining standards over time and generating confidence in the use of knowledge, skills and competence. The course is inclusive, we recognise students develop at different rates and have different learning needs. We focus on progression.
The course is empowering through promoting the development of transferable skills.
- An excellent progression record into Higher Art & Design Courses and apprenticeships.
- Good working relationships with Stockport College, Macclesfield College & Manchester Metropolitan University.
- Freelance Artists & Designers regularly talk to our students.
- After graduating from further Art courses there is a huge range of employment opportunities.
- Gallery trips in the North West & London.
- Life drawing- ABC: level 3.
- End of year exhibition for family & friends, we are proud of student achievement
The traditional A Level pathway for those who may be thinking of University, Higher Apprenticeship or Degree Apprenticeship.
5 GCSEs at grade 4 or above, covering a wide range of subject areas. These must include English Language and Maths. Two of the subjects should be a grade 6.
“The A level Art course at Marple College really helped open our eyes to new and alternative ways of creating Art. Due to fantastic support and encouragement from staff we have been able to achieve our dream of studying Fine Art at the Glasgow School of Art.”
Lucy & Harry Clitheroe.