This course has been built around the needs of employers and is intended to help you to create a portfolio of skills which will improve your future career opportunities. Successful completion will enable you to progress either into employment or onto a Level 3 course in the area of your choice at our College.
What you will study
You will study towards the Level 2 Certificate in Work Skills and either GCSE English and / or Maths if applicable. The course is made up of Work Skills units, GCSE’s and Work Placement.
Work skills units include:
- Team Work
- Starting up your own Business
- Leadership Skills
- Interview Skills
- Job Search
- Work Placement
- Plus many more
During the year you will also complete a Work Placement this where possible will be linked to the subject area you are most interested in, this will be arranged once you have joined the course.
How you will learn
You will participate in a variety of activities such as building leadership skills, team building, personal reflection, target setting and many more. You will also have the opportunity to take part in:
- Work Experience
- Mock Interviews
- Workshops with External Companies
- CV Writing
- Employment – HR
- Participating in internal and external
- College events
- Students who enrol upon this programme will gain the following:
- Expert guidance to help students match choices with career aspirations
- Unlimited access to careers specialists
- Access to subject plus sessions designed for students who would benefit from extra help in specific subjects
Access to a variety of CV building opportunities including:
- Student ambassador programme
- Support fun fundraising events
- Subject trips
- Volunteer programme
- Sporting excellence programme
- Work Experience
- National Apprenticeship Week
- Development of Personal, social and employability skills
- Development of interviewing and
- communication skills
- All these activities will broaden your horizons and enhance your CV!
Assessments for the main part is through continued assessment, class based tasks,presentations, written work, placement and discussions. For GCSE you will have exams at various times during the academic year.
4 or more GCSEs grade D or above preferably in Maths and English Language. If you haven’t achieved a grade D in Maths and / or English you will be able to Under take resits.
Successful completion of this course could lead to a variety of Level 3 courses at the college, an apprenticeship or to employment.
The skills developed by this course are essential to a wide range of employmentareas. Alternatively you could look for an apprenticeship in the vocational field of your choice.