BTEC Level 3
This course offers students the chance to further their studies of science that takes a different approach from the traditional A-level route.
The BTEC level 3 Extended Diploma in Applied Science includes a range of practical laboratory experience and academic study.
To assist students in their studies and understanding of science in the wider world this course includes talks from industry professionals and visits to places of scientific interest and industry.
- Chemistry, Biology and Biochemistry
- Forensic Science
- Industrial food production
- Pharmaceutical Industry
- Petrochemical industry
BTEC Nationals in Applied Science use a combination of assessment styles to give students confidence that they can apply their knowledge to succeed in the workplace and have the study skills to continue learning on higher education courses and throughout their career.
Assignments: Set and marked by teachers are still the main form of assessment.
Tasks: provide students with work-based challenges in timed, realistic work conditions.
Written exams: Students create written answers to practical questions in exam conditions.
- Trips to scientific industries
- Variety of links to extracurricular lectures in Manchester and the surrounding areas
- Career events
- The opportunity to visit and use University laboratories
- Trips to Chester Zoo
- Principles and Applications of Science I
- Practical Scientific Procedures and Techniques
- Science Investigation Skills
- Laboratory Techniques and their Application
- Principles and Applications of Science II
- Investigative Project
- Contemporary Issues in Science
To study Advanced Vocational qualifications you must have achieved at least 5 GCSEs grade 4-9 including Maths.
You will also need to achieve 4s in your GCSE Combined Science.
We are an inclusive College and will consider all applications on a case by case basis at interview.
“I like the way we learn in BTEC Applied Science: I like the way I can construct my work independently.
I have been really well supported to pursue my career of choice and think about my options for next year”